Sunday, October 11, 2009

Music from another Country launch


Libby Gleeson AM holds the US edition and I hold the Australian edition, which is cheaper!
Artwork from Taylor Galleries in the background.

Derek Dryden of Better Read than Dead bookshop, Newtown, sells copies of Music from another Country. He was pleased with sales, selling out his stock. The book is also available at Gleebooks, Eltham Bookshop in Victoria, the Bookshop Darlinghurst and Charles Darwin University Bookshop.


My book Music from another Country was successfully launched on 10 October, 2010, at Taylor Galleries, 116 Smith Street, Summer Hill, by Libby Gleeson AM. Libby Gleeson did a wonderful job launching the book and I am very grateful to her. Many thanks Libby.
I was delighted that my sister Kim (with husband Leigh) and brother Nicholas (with wife Edwina and daughter Penelope) could attend. The book has a close relationship with my late parents so it was important to have family about on this occasion (and every occasion).
It was also an honour and a pleasure to have Jack Mundey and Mick Tubbs in attendance. Jack is a very special hero of mine. Meredith Burgmann added to the historical flavour -- all of us seventies rebels.
As too were my mates Peg Trompf, Ron Austin, Terry Batterham and Gary Dunne. Wonderful to see them there.
Publishing colleagues included Penny Martin (whom I worked with at McGraw-Hill), Desney King and Maisie Keep (both of whom I worked with at Harcourt Brace), who designed the much acclaimed cover of the book. She also took photographs for me on the afternoon.
The literary world was represented by Susanne Gervay, Elisabeth Holdsworth, Angelo Loukakis, Robert Dixon (Professor of Australian Literature at the University of Sydney), Peter Kirkpatrick, Tim Sinclair, James Bradley and Mardi McConnochie (with baby daughter Annabelle), Ian MacNeill, Chris Pash (whose The last whale is reprinting! Wonderful news Chris and it is a fine book from Fremantle Press), Jill Dimond, Michael Green (with wife Joan and just off a plane from Paris), and a host of others.
And so many friends and supporters turned up as well. I was overwhelmed. Thanks very much to all of you who came along to this event. Without you all it wouldn't have been the success it was.
I asked my friend William Chen of Simply the Best Restaurant, Five Dock, to cater for the event which he did and it was a great pleasure for me that he was able to take time out to attend the event along with his wife and mother. Thanks mate!
The book was reviewed in the Sydney Morning Herald's Spectrum section of 10 October, 2010, by Kerryn Goldsworthy who described it as "a moving story about masculinity, families and courage".
Thanks to Shelley Evans, Robert Kitchen and Sandra Jones for assisting so nobly with the catering needs. As we love to say: "I love youse all."
Thanks to Max Taylor of Taylor Galleries for hosting the event.
And last, deepest thanks to my wonderful partner for the support and assistance not only at the launch but in all my writing and in life. Without you, I am nothing.

No comments: